What Is A Furnace Efficiency Rating? + What It Should Be

What Is a Furnace Efficiency Rating? + What It Should Be

Everyone wants their furnace and other home appliances to work as efficiently as possible, right? But what does that actually mean?

  1. Does it mean using less power to run a furnace?
  2. Does it mean lower heating bills?
  3. Does it mean tax rebates or other financial benefits?

Chances are, if your home was built in the last 20 years, you definitely have an efficient furnace installed in your home. But before that, it might not be the case.

Before the 1990s, efficiency ratings weren’t a thing, but now, if you don’t have a good furnace efficiency rating, it could be a deal breaker. If you want to know what furnace efficiency really means and what you should look for in your own home, this guide can help.

The Benefits of Having an Efficient Furnace

One of the most obvious benefits of having an efficient furnace is that you’ll save money on your energy bills. A more efficient furnace will use less fuel to heat your home, which means you’ll see lower bills each month. In addition to saving you money, an efficient furnace can bring the following benefits:

furnace efficiency rating gloves

A Smaller Carbon Footprint 👣

Carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide and carbon compounds emitted due to fossil fuels consumption. A carbon footprint is measured in greenhouse gasses, and an average carbon footprint is between 16,000-22,000 pounds, while a “low” carbon footprint is anything below that.

A standard furnace has a carbon footprint of around 14,000 pounds, while a high-efficiency furnace has a carbon footprint of 10,500 pounds. This might not seem like much of a difference, but it does make a difference over time.

Fewer Emissions ⛽

Another benefit of having a more efficient furnace is that it emits fewer harmful toxins and chemicals into the air. This is not only better for the environment, but it’s also better for your health.

Efficient furnaces use less fuel to heat your home, which means there are fewer emissions released into the air. These emissions can cause respiratory problems, so it’s important to make sure your furnace is as efficient as possible.

Lower Risk of Fire 🔥

Having an efficient furnace is that it lowers the risk of fire. If you have an old, inefficient furnace, there’s a greater chance that it will overheat and start a fire. On the other hand, an efficient furnace uses less fuel and produces less heat, which means there’s a lower risk of it overheating and causing a fire.

Longer Lifespan ⏳

Another benefit of having an efficient furnace is that it has a longer lifespan. This is because an efficient furnace doesn’t have to work as hard as an inefficient one. As a result, it experiences less wear and tear, which means it can last for many years without needing to be replaced.

More Compact Design 🤏

If you’re tight on space, an efficient furnace is a great option because it’s more compact than an inefficient one. This is because efficient furnaces use less fuel, which means they don’t need as much space to store the fuel. As a result, they’re smaller in size, which makes them a great option for small homes.

What Is a Furnace Efficiency Rating?

A furnace efficiency rating is a measure of how efficient a furnace is. The higher the rating, the more efficient the furnace.

There are two main types of furnace efficiency ratings: AFUE and HSPF.

AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, and it’s the most common type of furnace efficiency rating. It measures the percentage of heat that a furnace produces compared to the amount of fuel it uses.

For example, if a furnace has an AFUE rating of 80%, that means it produces 80% of the heat it uses to heat your home. The other 20% is lost through the flue or chimney. Before the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act of 1987 required new furnaces to be at least 78 percent efficient, furnaces at the time were releasing up to 40 percent of their heat outside— yikes!

Today, you’ll find much more efficient furnaces, with the standard being at least 80% efficient or more. Furnaces with furnace efficiency ratings of 90% would be considered a high-efficiency heating system.

HSPF stands for Heating Seasonal Performance Factor, and it’s the second type of furnace efficiency rating. It measures the amount of heat a furnace produces compared to the amount of energy it uses.

For example, if a furnace has an HSPF rating of 9, that means it produces 9 units of heat for every unit of energy it uses. Furnaces with higher HSPF ratings are more efficient than those with lower ratings.

furnace efficiency rating worker

Understanding the Efficiency Rating of Furnaces

We just threw a lot of numbers and acronyms at you, and it can be hard to understand, so we’ll try to define them a little better.

To determine a furnace’s efficiency rating or its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, you need to do a little math. You’ll need to take the amount of fuel supplied to the heater and divide it by the amount of heat produced by the unit aka BTUs (British thermal units).

For example, if your furnace has a rating of 78%, 78% of its energy is actually being used for heating your home, while the other 22% is being lost through chimneys, basement walls, or other inefficiencies in the system.

Save Money With a New, Efficient Furnace

While the upfront cost of a new furnace may be higher than repairing an old furnace, you’ll save money in the long run because of the increased efficiency. In fact, you could save hundreds of dollars every year on your energy bills.

Plus, you may be eligible for certain rebates or tax credits when you install a new, efficient furnace. For example, you may be eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $500 if you install a qualifying high-efficiency furnace in your home.

To find out if you’re eligible for any rebates or tax credits, check with your local utility company or the government’s Energy Star website.

The most important thing to remember when shopping for a new furnace is to look for one with a high-efficiency rating. The higher the rating, the more efficient the furnace, and the more money you’ll save on your energy bills.

Hire Aquarius Home Services for Your Furnace Needs

Aquarius Home Services has been in the business of keeping homes warm for years. We’re a locally-owned and operated business, and we take great pride in our work.

When you hire us to install your new furnace, you can rest assured that it will be done right, with energy efficiency being a priority. We’re licensed, bonded, and insured, and our technicians are highly trained and experienced. 

Contact us today to save money with a new and improved furnace!

Leave a Comment